THIS IS A GREAT RECIPE FROM NORDIC WARE USING THE CLASSIC BUNDT PAN. AS A SIDE DISH WITH BBQ OR GRILLED STEAKS OR A VARIATION ON YOUR CORNBREAD WITH SOUPS AND CHILIS, IT WILL BECOME A REGULAR IN YOUR RECIPE ROTATION!
Cornbread Bundt with Savory Cheese Filling
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 50 Minutes
10 - 12 Servings
- 1/ 4 cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Cored and Seeded Jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons Finely Chopped Red and Green Pepper
- 6 Minced Cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Softened Unsalted Butter
- 6 1/ 2 ounces Boursin Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Softened Unsalted Butter
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar or Manchego cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 1 1/ 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/ 2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil or butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 3/ 4 cups Whole Kernal Corn
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Manchego cheese
Prepare a 10-12-cup Bundt pan using a butter & flour method, or by using a baking spray which contains flour. Do not use cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Filling: Saute the onion, jalapeno pepper, bell peppers, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the butter. Cook until the onion is soft. Turn off heat and allow to cool. In a medium bowl, cream together the Boursin cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, cheddar or Manchego cheese, and 1 egg until smooth. Add the cooked onions and peppers. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Batter: Mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk, oil or butter, and 2 eggs and mix well. Mix in the corn, and cheese, and combine until fully incorporated. Pour half of batter into Bundt. Drop cheese mixture by the spoonful evenly in a circle around the pan, then top with remaining batter. Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted 1” into cake comes out clean. Note, this savory dish has a melted cheese center that is meant to be gooey. Allow cake to cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate and enjoy warm. If reheating is necessary, cover with aluminum foil and place in a 300 degree oven until warmed through.